Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Hearth and the Salamander

"I hate this book" is what I said after reading the first two pages. Too many words and too confusing, is what I thought after the first two pages. But after reading some more, and being less judgmental towards the book, I opened up to it. I finished reading the whole book after a couple of days, and now it's one of my favorite books. I'm not the most passionate guy when it comes to writing, but the way Ray Bradbury wrote the book is really different. It's not a perfect book though, I thought he could have introduced some of the characters better. Also the setting, like in what city it takes place, but otherwise the book is amazing. I've read the whole book, and in my opinion the first chapter is the best one. The first couple of pages are very dark, and like I said earlier, a little confusing. A fireman? Burning books? Don't firemen usually put out fires, not start them? Most of the confusion is cleared up with even more confusion, with a girl named Clarisse. In a way she is a burning candle that clears up the darkness found in Guy Montag. A guy who just follows orders without questioning anything. Clarisse is such a free spirit, and Guy Montag the opposite. Two very good characters in my opinion. The first chapter of the book was really good, so good that I almost passed out reading the second chapter. Guess that's what I get for staying up so late.

1 comment:

  1. Elvis,

    I know the first couple of pages in F51 are hard with all of their powerful imagery, but I am glad you are getting into it!

    In your post, you mentioned Bradbury needing to flesh out some characters better--which ones would these be?

    I think the metaphor that you've created with Clarisse being the "burning candle that clears up the darkness" found in Guy Montag is especially powerful. Light and dark in F51 certainly carries ongoing symbolism as the book continues!

    ReplyDelete