Friday, September 4, 2009

Numero Uno

Wow, most of my classmates have a lot more blog posts then I do. A matter a fact this is my very first one. OK, I've ran into a little problem. I don't know what to talk about. I believe it's called "writer's block". I've always seemed to have this, no matter what I'm trying to write. I remember that when I was back in high school I would spend minutes just trying to write one sentence. It seems like I had too many things going on in my head. I would write something, then erase it, write part of the sentence again, erase it again. It was too much, but that sort of went away when I reached my senior year.
You see, I went to York County School of Technology, and I was in the construction academy. Our teachers were guys who spent ten plus years working in the real world. They were tough as nails, and tried to make us that tough too. Well long story short it didn't work, a kid cried to the principle that the push ups were too much. Our shop teachers weren't allowed to give us push ups anymore. So what is our new punishment? Writing. And I was one of the "bad" ones. The one who always talked back, but really I was just always in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I had to write a 7,000 word essay for my shop teacher once. The "punishments" ranged from 150 to 1000 word essays. Not a lot you say? Try doing more than one a day, more than 5 in a week. It got to you, but in the end it actually made me a better writer. And now that I look back at what I just typed here, which only took me a couple of minutes, I can say that all those "punishments" paid off.

1 comment: